So I've released my new single Just a Man via the download stores in the last few days and also released Heavy soul back in May this year. In the process of doing so its made me ask a few questions.
Before i get to those questions can I just say that I love making music, recording, mixing, trying to be creative in the whole process and loved playing the gigs I have this year. Thrilled to have played live with my friends and even more thrilled to have the experience of playing with the amazing Cairn Strings. Really great fun and loved playing live.
So putting all the fun stuff aside as I would call it. The boring bit for me is trying to create a buzz about the releases/gigs and Ive found it pretty hard. Ive sent out 1000's of emails and I don't exaggerate when I say 1000's. Emailed radio, tv, press and any contact I could get via friends and others in bands who are trying to get a small opening in the hard game of the music industry. By the way thanks to friends in bands who said "hey try sending it to this guy" thank you! Ive sat making my website, doing posts on social media and made videos(enjoyed that).
So the questions I have after releasing a 2 singles and trying to hype gigs are.
1. How do you create that buzz?
2. Can you really do it all yourself. Be manager, record label etc....
3. Is it all about who you know and not what you know
4. Or is that my stuff is shit?
5. Do I really care?
The answers I have are.
1. Ive no idea how you create that buzz, feel free give me some pointers on this.
2. For me I don't think you can do it all yourself, someone i.e the right label or right management can take people to the next level. I could be wrong, Would love to see examples if anyone has them.
3. I do think its who you know and Ive always thought that.
4. I don't think my stuff is shite. When I say that not everything I write I like. Ive written some shite believe me. Ive a massive shelf of stuff! hahaha.
5. I do care, only about the process of making music the other stuff is phish!!
Feel free to leave a comment or any advice for me. Would love to hear peoples thought on this and the music industry as a whole these days.